Linocuts with my son


Unfortunately I didn’t get to draw much in December but I did make 2 lino prints. I joined my son while he was making his, now traditional, linocuts for Christmas gifts. He managed to make 2 this year, both in an edition of 20 so there are plenty for gifts in the coming year.

I also made 2 prints. It was fairly obvious to print some Christmas cards, but from decades of experience I know that my intentions and actual actions often are miles apart when it comes to Christmas cards. Therefore I decided to make a card suitable for all occasions – just in case. I used one of my drawings from last summer as a template for the linocut.

I also cut a plate last year while keeping my son company but never pulled any prints from it. Since the red ink was already out, I had to print some cards with this one too. Although my wife didn’t think this was suitable for Christmas cards…

Well, once again I didn’t managed to send any Christmas cards this year so I guess they’ll do fine as new year cards.

Book press selfie

I found a fantastic old book press, perfect for linocut printing. I had to try i right away, so I cut it a “selfie”. It is so easy to work with the book press, about 5 times as fast as using an old spoon as a barren. And it’s a pretty nice feeling working with a tool more then a century old and still working perfectly. When I find the time I’m going to strip off the silver paint and paint it black and it will be ready for another 100 years of working in style.

Book press & print

Book press print

I searched the internet to find out when and where it was made. I found one that had been sold on ebay in perfect condition with original paint and with a ridiculously high price tag. Impressive how much somebody was ready to pay for one as a decorative pice. Mine has lost a “ball” and needs a new coat of paint but I wouldn’t swop for the perfect one. Mine is a tool not a decoration. And at around €/$ 30 and a 1,5 hour drive it was a much fairer price.

Going old school; Linocuts

I needed to try something new and different. I had just seen some cool linocuts so why not try that.

I never tried it before. I do remember some enthusiastic teacher in school handing me a linoleum plate, but I don’t think I ever made a singel cut in it. Spend an evening watching a few tutorials and YouTube examples and then off to get some supplies. To my big surprise I could not find a single shop in Copenhagen that carried linoleum plates so I had to get them from Aarhus?!? Many of the examples I found using water based ink online had, in my opinion, really bad coverage (read: looked more like potato print to me). So I decided to try the oile based safe wash ink from Caligo.

The motif is my son. I had originally had an idea about making it as a stencil and use spray paint, but I think the lino cut was a better idea.

I’m pretty happy with the result for a first try. Made 20 prints and scraped 10 of them. The ink was easy to work with and the cleaning I had feared only took a few minutes; Cover everything in a thick layer of soap, rinse, dry, done! I had been warned about long drying times but I never expected 3-4 days… They just managed to dry the day before christmas so a few of them got framed and ended under the tree.

It was great fun. I’m defiantly trying that again.

lino wip 1

lino wip 2

Oliver framed